Thursday, April 5, 2007

Seeds of possibility

Tuesday night I sat down at the kitchen table (well, more like crouched over it) with a bag of seed starting mix, some small containers and a couple packets of seeds and planted my first veggie seeds ever…or at least since 6th grade, when we grew beans on the windowsill at school. My first 50 containers, now safe and warm on the top of the fridge, hold Vidalia onions and sweet bell peppers. I’ll post pictures when I finally get my camera back from my sister…

The directions on the seed packets weren’t the clearest, so I wasn’t certain as to how many seeds to put in each container. For this first round of seeds, I went with one pepper seed per container, for a total of 20 seeds, and 2 onion seeds per container, for a total of 60. I’m planning on buying more containers tonight, so I can start my tomato seeds as well. If I have enough space, I might toss a few more onions seeds in a couple of pots to see if they grow well in multiples… I’m not exactly sure where all these seedlings will go, as our refrigerator top is full and we don’t have that many more warm spaces available in our little house…

So to recap, first seeds:

Vidalia Onionsplanted April 3, 2007

60 seeds

Seedlings will be moved outdoors when they have reached pencil-thickness

“Carnival Mix” Sweet Bell Peppersplanted April 3, 2007

20 seeds

Seedlings should appear in 10-21 days and will be moved outdoors when they have 2 pairs of leaves each.

No comments: