Sunday, March 30, 2008

Starting some onion seeds...outside!

I read about this in Mother Earth News a couple of months ago...you can start seeds in milk jugs as an alternative to using lights inside (for those of us without much interior room to spare). I decided to start my onions this way...hopefully it works!
I took several milk jugs (collecting from friends since I don't drink milk) and cut them in half, leaving one side intact to function as a hinge.

Using my organic potting soil, I filled each jug with about 3 inches of soil. The soil was generously moistened, and the onion seeds were spaced in the soil, about 1 inch apart.

I taped the jugs shut (all I could find was electrical tape, but I may replace it), leaving the caps off.

Each jug was paced inside a garbage bag, which was tied shut with a rubber band.

These jugs/bags will stay on a sunny spot on my deck for the spring, where the onion seeds will hopefully spout inside the insulated environment...we'll see... I'll check on them for water and heat needs as necessarily...those issues weren't included in the directions!

No comments: