Sunday, July 15, 2007

Compost progress

I'm not entirely sure the compost bin is making compost, but it has to be doing something, 'cause the bin never seems to fill up!  Every time I open it to add veggies scraps or coffee grounds, the level has gone down...that has to be a good sign, right? 
In other Happy Little Garden news, the squash and the tomato plants are slowly moving in from the edges of the small plot and will probably take over the whole garden by summer's end.  Next year we are definitely expanding.  The good thing is that I like tomatoes and squash!  The bad thing is that I also like onions and peppers and it's going to be hard for the peppers to get much sun. 
I pulled the first ripe cherry tomatoes off the vine yesterday, with every plant heavy with green fruit.  Hopefully I get access to Mom's canning equipment before I end up with a boatload of tomatoes and no where to stash them!  Even the patio tomato is looking healthy and strong...
Maybe I'm not so bad at this after all...

No comments: