Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The wait is over!

Woo-hoo! The first real harvest from the garden! Check out these two babies - a zucchini and a summer squash, fresh from my backyard. And there are plenty more where they came from, almost ready...
Last week I gave up fighting with the cucumber beetles, gave in, and purchases a definitely-nonorganic solution - insect spray. I know I could have been more patient and tried my friend Michael's suggestion of basil tea, but after the first cucumber casualty, I just couldn't bare it. I'm not sure how much good it is doing - there was a beetle ambling along a leaf as I approached the plot just now, but as I was checking the rest of the plant, I noticed that some of the previously itty-bitty veggies were now full-grown and ready for a-pickin'...
These two will be grilled, but I see plenty of stir-fries, kabobs, and perhaps even some zucchini bread in my future. What a happy little garden I have!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Yea!!!! That's awesome.