Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Admitting defeat

So, I think my seedlings are a lost cause. I'm not a very attentive plant parent - my peace lily can attest to that. My flower beds are a haphazard mix of whatever can basically grow itself the second year after being planted. So, am I too surprised that I suck at seed-starting? No, not really. I shouldn't have expected any miracles. I walked into the makeshift nursery (our guest room) last night to discover my tiny peppy seedlings looking severly wilted, much like their onion brethren before them. I watered them, but I'm not deluding myself into thinking it will help.
Fortunately, over the weekend and with the help of my friend ML, some more-established veggies plants were added to the garden. A trip to the Farmer's Market yielded several tomato plants (Better Boy, Roma, Cherry, and Beefsteak), peppers (green, yellow, red, and purple(!), and a couple of cucumbers. I stopped at Walmart's gardening department and picked up some onions, zucchini, squash, and canteloupe plants, and into the garden they went. I planted the gourds in the row I had already sowed cucumber seeds - that way in case any of the seeds do decided to sprout, they aren't surrounded by strangers. Also, since I know zucchinis and melons tend to spread and take over, putting them along one side gives me room to expand the plot to that side next year and let them do their thing. The onions went down the center row, to protect the schnauzer puppy from his own curiousity - onions are very dangerous to dogs.
I also covered the entire plot with cedar mulch - I don't know if this is right, but I didn't have anything more natural to mulch with - no untainted grass clippings or straw - so orgaznic cedar mulch will have to work for now.
So, my garden now looks like a real garden instead of just a large patch of dirt. Cross your fingers that some of my little babies bear fruit. I will try seed-starting again next year, with better equipment and a little experience under my belt.

3 comments:

P~ said...

You know I have learned to never admit defeat, just try to see the positive side. Now rather than having to wait for your seeds starts to mature on their own, you will have veggies all the sooner.
The year before last I tried to start a compost pile a little too late in the year and never really could get it going, so the next spring I just turned it all into the ground to "rot away". Well about a month later, I had something like 30 pumpkin plants take off on their own from what was in the pile. I don't see it as a failed compost adventure, just a really nice pumpkin patch!
A posse ad esse!
P~

Meghan said...

I'm excited for the purple peppers!!!

chaindropz said...

I don't have room for a garden but I picked a squash from a potted plant yesterday. You can look at my (pot garden) on my blog. I have a system I call swamp pots that is working for now. You may get the information on how to build the swamp pots off chaindropz solutions and I also have some pictures on chaindropz flowers.