Friday, May 4, 2007

Into the ground they go...

My office was closed for the afternoon due to the Offutt Air Show rehearsal (we're in the flight path, so it's a safety issue). So I took advantage of the moist soil and warm day to get some seeds into the ground.
Today I planted cucumbers (Burpee Hybrid II), lettuce (a five-variety gourmet blend), and carrots (Little Finger).
The garden soil looked good - I'm thinking that the week since I mixed in the manure and top soil really helped, not to mention all the rain we got this week (and are looking forward to this weekend). I drug my cultivator through the plot to loosen things up, then began making little rows for my seeds. The cucumbers are in the first row on the west-most side of the garden, with two rows of carrots next to them. I put the lettuce up toward the front of the plot for easy access. I marked the rows with small stakes and some yard (a temporary solution).
These three types of seeds took up about half of my plot! Granted it's not too big, but I was initially worried that this project would take up so much time because I had this "huge area" to fill. Fortunately, as I go, it seems smaller and smaller. I'm glad I had the foresight to start small. If this is a hobby I stick with over the years, I can add on as needed.
Once my onion and pepper seedlings get a little bigger and studier, I will transfer them out to the garden. Right now they are in "recovery" in the guest room. I left them with the DH's mother while we were on vacation, and they seemed fine when we got back, but then I had the great idea to set them outside on the deck (since it's so lovely outside)...and they started to look bad...I brought them back in and have been nursing them, but I think I lost a few. Oh well, if they don't make it, I'll just shell out some cash for more established plants that were started by someone who has a clue what they are doing! I was mainly curious to see if the seed-starting could be done at all....
That's right - I said it: I have no idea what I'm doing, really. :) I've planted many flowers, several shrubs, and had some good luck, some bad luck, but mainly just luck - there is no skill involved in my gardening activities. If you're looking for advice, you're in the wrong place - this is just a chronicle of my dirt-covered adventure in edible flora...

On a slightly different note, I also planted some flower seeds. There is a corner of the yard that I un-sodded last year to put in some sort of bush...I can't remember what it was, 'cause it didn't survive - either due to lack of care, bad conditions, or perhaps someone mowed over it and just didn't tell me - it's not longer there. So I have this patch of nothing and adjacent to that, there is a strip of grass along the east side of the yard that has turned yellow. So today I pulled that up, pushed the dirt around a little, and tossed in some butterfly-attracting wildflower seeds from a big can. There are plenty left, so my plan is to continue to pull the grass from along the fence until I can border the entire yard with wildflowers. I will also add some larger plants throughout the border as I have the time and money, but the can of seeds seemed much simpler than planting individual flowers or bulbs. Hopefully they take off before the birds get to them...

No comments: