Monday, June 18, 2007

Wascally Wabbit

As I told ML this morning, my husband said the most horrible thing to me last night.  He said “Honey, is that a rabbit out there by the garden?”  I immediately raced to my veggie plot, small dog on my heels, looking for the little bugger.  It was dark out at this point, and the rabbit was dark-furred as well, so it was very hard to spot, but we clearly saw its cottony puff of a tail as it suddenly raced for the other side of the yard and dove under the fence.  Our not-so-quick dog didn’t even notice anything was happening until it was all over, and THEN he started sniffing around.  Some watchdog, huh? 

I put a wire fence around the garden to keep the dog out, but it’s certainly not rabbit-proof.  What to do now?  I need to add an additional fence or a barrier of some kind…or do I just give up and accept that rabbit encounters are part of gardening life?

 

3 comments:

wheatgerm said...

I think you need to trap the rabbit and set it free far far away

Ananda Devika said...

Might have to give that a try, if I can't deter him with additional fencing. I'm not sure how many veggie gardens our neighborhood has, so hopefully mine doesn't become his favorite hangout.

Meghan said...

Yikes, good luck with that. I'm guessing it's a baby rabbit, & what wheatgerm may not know is that you live in a new neighborhood. When I moved into my new neighborhood, we were critter free for the first year, and then we were overrun with critters the next year. I'd venture to say it's going to be quite an issue for you.

Sorry!